Delight your tastebuds with my tangy Tangerine Dream Halibut with Arugula and Heirloom Tomato Salad - perfect for Easter Dinner or a Solstice Soiree. How about trying out a new gadget, the "Spiralizer" to create oodles of veggie "noodles" for my Mediterranean Rainbow Spiral Salad? Visually & texturally appealing, it's the perfect side to bring to any backyard barbeque. Looking for a new libation to quench your thirst? Try my Nancy's Santa Barbara Sunset, a cocktail worthy of all the beauty and flavors our fair city has to offer - believe me, like Goldilocks, we had fun getting this drink just right...we happily sampled our "mistakes"! Enjoy and Happy Spring & Summer to all!
Tangerine Dream Halibut with Heirloom Tomato Salad
PREP TIME 20 MINUTES • SERVES 2
4 small tangerines • 10 ounces halibut or sole • 1/4 tsp Himalayan pink sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper • 2tsp coconut oil • 1 tsp butter
1 medium shallot, minced • 2 TB white wine • Red pepper flakes to taste • Sprinkle of tangerine zest
Salad: 4 cups of arugula • 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil • 1 TB rice vinegar • 1 heirloom tomato, sliced
• Zest tangerines to have about a ½ tsp of zest - set aside. Peel tangerines, break into individual sections into the bowl, remove any pieces of pith and collect any juice as well.
• Sprinkle both sides of fillets with salt and pepper.
• Coat a large nonstick skillet with 2 tsp coconut oil and place over medium heat.
• Add the fillets and cook about 3 minutes, gently flip and cook until the fish is opaque in the center and just cooked through - 3 to 5 minutes.
• Divide between 2 serving plates; tent with foil to keep warm.
• Add a tsp of butter to pan and melt over medium heat.
• Add shallot and cook, stirring, until soft, about 30 seconds.
• Add white wine and tangerine sections and juice; loosen any browned bits on the bottom of the pan and cook for 30 seconds.
• Spoon the sauce over the fish and sprinkle each portion with red pepper flakes, and tangerine zest. Serve immediately.
Salad: Toss arugula with olive oil and vinegar, place slices of tomatoes on top.
Optional: You may also put salad on the plate and place the fish on a bed of salad.
Mediterranean Rainbow Spiral Salad
PREP TIME 20 MINUTES • SERVES 6-8
4 zucchini “spiralized” • 2 carrots “spiralized” • ½ red onion, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced • 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
½ cup basil, cut into ribbons (chiffonade method) • 1 tsp fresh oregano
1-2 cloves fresh garlic, minced • 1 cup olives, pitted and broken into pieces
½ cup feta, crumbled • 3 TB extra virgin olive oil • 2 TB red wine vinegar
½ tsp pink Himalayan sea salt • fresh black ground pepper to taste
• Using a Spiralizer gadget, prep zucchini and carrots and place in large bowl.
• Add onion, bell pepper, basil, oregano, garlic, olives, feta, extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, & pepper.
• Fold together with spatula or wooden spoon.
• You may serve immediately, however it tastes even better when you let it marinate for an hour or even overnight.
Nancy's Santa Barbara Sunset
PREP TIME 2 MINUTES • SERVES 1
Ice • 1 shot of Campari • 1 shot of vodka • 2 ozfresh tangerine juice
3-4 oz ginger beer • A squeeze of fresh lime juice
• Fill highball glass with ice.
• Pour one shot of Campari in, followed by 1 shot of vodka (we love Tito's Handmade Vodka).
• Gently add tangerine juice, followed by a slow pour of ginger beer, and squeeze of fresh lime juice.